Well, I had my blood drawn today and got to speak with the doctor. It looks like my understanding of the situation was a bit off. It is NOT the Rh (negative or positive) factor of my RBC's that is at issue here. I have a broad array of strange antibodies in my blood that are not associated with the AB- portion. I guess it's kind of good news. Looks like the concern is having blood on hand for possible transfusion for me during delivery, more so than for the fetus. It will be hard to match my blood with all of its craziness. There is a possibility that these antibodies will go away before I deliver... As far as the fetus goes, as long as my hemoglobin levels are fine, the baby should be fine. If I start dropping hemoglobin levels, then we have a concern. I will have blood drawn next Monday, Mar 24th and then again at my next regular scheduled appointment on the 31st. I should get these blood results back later this week. I am not too concerned about the hemoglobin - I feel fine - not too tired or short of breath. Still, the fact that both my doctor (who has been practicing for 30 years) and the hematologist are baffled is a bit concerning. They have not heard of something like this happening before and are consulting another hematologist guru guy for his opinion.
Hope everyone had a nice pinch-free St. Patrick's Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment