2. His new bike arrived in the mail yesterday. I got it assembled during nap so he could ride it in the afternoon. After a bit of tentativeness, he was off and biking like a champ. It seemed he had it down - same foot brakes as his old bike, but bigger handlebars, and bigger, heavier bike in general... So we went off to the nearby park for a quick visit before dinner. On the return trip home, Ben was ahead of Eli and I by about a 1/2 block. On a gradual steady downhill sidewalk. Suddenly, I hear a little "Help me mommy!" and I look up and Ben is flying down the sidewalk out of control. Seems he couldn't make the foot brakes work. I just happened to see a woman running with her dog - asked to to quick watch Eli for a second and I took off at a steady jog to catch up to Ben. After a few seconds it was obvious I was not going to catch him with a jog - he was really moving and picking up speed. I turned my aging, no-exercise body into Olympic form and literally had to sprint as fast as I possibly could to catch up to Ben. It seemed like a slow motion scene from movie, but I did catch him, grab the handle bars and slow him down safely. What an adrenaline rush for Ben and me... Ben's first comment - "See, mommy, that's why you need to stay close to me..." Funny. Very funny. Thank goodness for several things: 1. that someone happened to be there to watch Eli for a minute 2. that Ben kept it together enough to not crash (it would have been a doozy) 3. that I didn't severely injure MYself after exerting my muscles to their utter capacity for a brief moment. Phew.
A few pics from last week:
A short hike at Mary Young Park
A fun Saturday with friends (Lauren, Tyler and son, Camden) watching the boys play in the water.
Eli
Camden
Ben
Again, Eli's adorable belly.




No comments:
Post a Comment