Monday, July 30, 2007

House projects

I know it's been a while since I last posted... Andy and I have been busy with various house projects. I've been working on making some curtains for the living/ dining rooms. It's taken more time that I thought it would, but they are turning out nicely. They are definitely an improvement from the filthy black metal mini-blinds that were there. Here are pictures of the two windows that are done. Still one window to go.




Last week, we had a very large branch break off of our huge walnut tree in the front yard, but it was still connected and hanging very low in the middle of the street. The city came and cut it down, but I had to deal with cutting it up with just a hand saw (still haven't finished...). I also worked on sprucing up our yard. I pruned our boxwood hedge in the front yard which took me forever, and did some general pruning and raking. Our city had a giant festival last weekend that centers on a park less than a block from our house. TONS of people come for the music, carnival rides, parade, booths, car show and fireworks, so our neighborhood was a hoppin'.


The guy that made our kitchen island finished it up last week, so in order to same some $$$$, I drove out and picked it up. I also had to paint the doors and the end panels, which took all of last week (3 coats of oil based paint on 2 sides of the doors). Last night, Andy and I installed it in our kitchen. We ran some wiring to it so that we can put in an outlet. The counter guys are coming out tomorrow morning to measure for the new Corian counters. Yeah! I can't wait to see what our kitchen will look like! Then, we will still need to paint the walls - I'm thinking maybe a Venetian plaster effect on one wall. We are also planning on a tile back splash and putting in some undercabinet lighting. I'll post before and after pics after the countertops are in. That's it for now - back to "work"!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oil-based paint-urughghggh. I bet you are excited to get back to school, so you can relax! Is the room in the first picture green? The curtains look good. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see pictures of the kitchen.

Danielle said...

Wow, you guys are really going to town with the home projects. The house looks great in the pictures.

JenyB said...

Your house looks great! When are we invited over--you know I hate to invite myself....