Monday, November 5, 2007

I know, I know...

Again, it's been quite some time since I've updated. Let's see.
This past weekend was pretty full. Work party on Friday night, then general clean up on Sat. AM, then leaf raking duty. We've been working on a rotation system to try and alleviate last years' horrendous leaf stock pile scenario of 30 plus bags of stinky wet/ sometimes frozen bags of leaves that we had to keep dumping into our yard debris bin over the winter as space allowed. The problem is: we have many mature trees that drop tons of leaves all at once that will not fit into the yard debris bin, so we end up with excess leaves and no place to put them. This year we got a leaf blower/ sucker which has helped quite a bit by breaking the leaves into smaller pieces and we also bought an additional 50 gallon garbage bin to store the extra leaves in a dry place. Also, Saturday afternoon Andy's mom called and offered us their yard to dump any extra leaves. Sooooo, Saturday we raked a bunch of leaves, bagged them up and loaded them into my Jeep. We were headed to Andy's aunt and uncle's house for party that evening, and Andy's mom lives right next door, so we just stopped off and dumped them before heading to the family party. It was nice seeing family and hanging out at a huge bonfire on a gorgeous November night in Oregon.

Sunday, we brewed a batch of Pumpkin Ale, which won't be ready for another 4 weeks or so. we didn't start it until 5PM, and we were still working on cleaning up after 9:30 or so...

School is going very well. I "won" a technology piece that I have to share with 2 other teachers on a rotation schedule. It's called a SmartBoard and is an interactive whiteboard that shows a computer screen on it that is clickable/ and writable with these special pens. The kids are so excited to use it, and it has really made a huge difference in my classroom. It's amazing to watch how fast today's kids pick up on technology. It does take quite a bit of extra planning time on my part, but the pay-off is pretty big.



We are still working on tickets home for the holidays. It looks like it will be almost $600 a piece just to fly to MSP. Brainerd was like $800. I've been watching the prices for over a month and it's not like they have gone way up in the past week or so - They've been pretty close to this high for a long time. Right now, I think we will be coming in on the 22nd or 23rd and flying out on the 27 or 28th. Most likely, we would only be able to see Mpls peeps on the last day before we fly back to Oregon - that is, if people are going to be around... Let me know what your holiday schedules look like, girls!
It's been great reading everyone's blogs. Sorry for being such a lame blogger.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yay! You posted to your blog!! I was going to comment in the last post to say, uhh Stokes, it's November.... I unfortunately won't be in town at all after Christmas. We will be going to Okabena on the 25th, and staying through the weekend, because Darci's wedding is on Saturday the 29th.

JenyB said...

Ooh! Ooh! I have a Smart Board, too and it makes a huge difference because they want to touch it (want to touch the heine) and they can't touch it unless the BEHAVE

Katie said...

Stokes- Email me! I can't seem to find your address- I can't believe I haven't emailed you since my computer crash, but I guess not. I asked Danielle to forward me you email address, and I guess she's trying to keep us apart. What a jealous girl.