Friday, June 20, 2008

Anybody need a pile of honeybees?

So, yesterday, I'm doing laps walking around the outside of our house with Ben, when I hear a commotion in our next door neighbor's yard (not the meth house ones, the other side - the neighbor that looks like the Incredible Hulk - pre-green). The Hulk and some guy in a bee suit jump up on the fence to say "Hi!" and explain that there is a massive hive of honey bees in our neighbors tree, right next to our fence. It's about the size of a sack of groceries. The bee guy planned to climb up a ladder, place a bee-box (I'm sure there's a more proper name for it than bee-box - is it an apiary?) under the hive and knock the bees into it - He said that the rest of them would enter on their own because there was already some honey inside. I filmed this from our yard about 25 feet from the tree.


The bee guy came back at about 10:30PM when the bees were "sleeping" and took the bee-box, presumably to some orchard nearby. Crazy days in Oregon...

On the baby front - I've had a couple of pretty good days at home with Ben. He's continuing to eat about every 2 1/2 hours - although last night I think he had a 4 hour stretch... Yeah! I even made it to the grocery store in the evening for a huge $175 trip - we were long over-due.

No comments: