Friday, July 23, 2010

Random Things...

Last week/ weekend we decided it was time to get Ben into his "Big Boy Bed". Well, we kind of HAD to - we need to make room in the crib/nursery for the baby. We had the bed set up in the spare room upstairs for quite some time, so Ben had a chance to get used to it - He liked to "pretend" to go ni-night in it frequently, so it seemed like he was on the path to successful transition. I attempted the big boy bed twice for nap time during the week (unsuccessfully), and gave up and just reverted to the crib. I think it was Saturday that we hit this with full force. It took some crying and exhaustion to get him in the bed, but after his first nap in it, he automatically headed there for bedtime, too. We also got him some new shelves, a few decorations and moved most of his books and toys into the room, to make the room more "his". So far, the move to the bed has gone very well. Today we had a bit of a setback, but I think it was due to a slight change in pre-bedtime routine, and a poopy diaper. He was out of his bed (several times) and watching out the window at all of the festival goers in our neighborhood. (It is the weekend of the Old Fashioned Festival in our little town and our house is smack dab in the middle of all of the activities.) On another note, we got to watch a kids parade on Thursday night. Ben did a great job sitting on the curb and watching the parade go by and picking up candy. I didn't even have to tell him what to do, really. He figured it out pretty quickly. We are looking forward to more festival fun on Fri/ Sat/ Sun, which means more elephant ears for this 34-week pregnant lady!!

The bed transition is just one of the many little preparations we are making for the upcoming arrival of baby #2!!! We had to run to storage to get #1 the tub of newborn-3 month clothes that I have (luckily) saved, #2 the box of bottles and related plastic thingy-s and #3 the box of baby toys. It's starting to feel real that we will soon have a tiny little baby joining our family! This week, I got to visit my friend, Lauren, and her 1 month old son, Camden - which was very nice and really helped me to wake up and remember the joys/ struggles of newborn care!!

Other random things I want to record:

Ben pooped and peed on the potty (appears to be just a fluke - since it hasn't happened since then) upon our return from the MN trip on July 4th...

He has pretty much memorized his entire "Little Blue Truck" book. I can stop at nearly any point and he will finish the sentence.

Some of his favorite phrases right now:
  • Bye, bye, going to work!
  • Too fa away
  • Oh -tay, mommy!
  • Mommy, kiss it (referring to an owie)
  • One more time!
  • Counting random things in his own random way (one, two, tee, four, six, seben, eight, eleben, fourteen, eleben-teen, twenty-teen)
  • Oww, that hurts.
  • Not working. (once, he said this upon waking up and trying to move his hand - must have been asleep) (another instance - I hear a strange sound - What was that, Ben? Reply: giggle giggle - "a toot: one more time" - he tries to push another toot - then: "not working".)
  • I did it!
  • Socks on, shoes on, outside!
  • Nemo touch boat (he said this during dinner 2 days after we watched the first 20 minutes of Nemo - you never know what these kids are taking in...)
  • Hold still, mommy (so he can tickle me)
  • Opps - fall down, bad owie

That's all I can think of right now...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Glad you are not having as much trouble with the big boy bed as I am, he's looks so cute in it!

Stokes said...

Me too! We did have a very rough night 2 nights ago with Ben up from 12:00-5:00AM about every 45 minutes or so - NOT fun. I guess it is good "training" for the new baby, right?