Sunday, January 25, 2009

RSV?

No, not RSVP... We think Ben has RSV - Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) Virus. He got a cold last Friday, and it progressed to his chest. He never really had much of a fever, but has been irritable, with a reduced appetite, and tons of coughing. He coughs so hard, he ends up gagging and throwing up whatever is in his tummy. Poor guy. This happened many times over the past week, but he stayed in daycare, as he had no fever... But, I ended up taking him to the doctor on Friday because he threw up twice, and didn't eat much at daycare. The symptoms sure fit the virus, so the doctor swabbed his nose and throat to check it out (haven't heard back yet because of the weekend, I'm sure). Over the weekend, he's still been coughing quite a bit, but it hasn't gotten any worse and he hasn't had a fever. He still has periods of happy Ben, but is just a bit more crabby than normal. He has slept more than usual this weekend, so it was good to get him caught up - we'll see how the week goes... I guess this is a normal thing for most babies to get - the severity of the virus varies quite a bit. My daycare providers' 5 week old grandson, who spends quite a bit of time with her, had similar symptoms, but more severe breathing problems, and was rushed to the Children's hospital in Portland on Friday in an ambulance!

Ben says "Happy Birthday Levi - sorry I missed your party" :)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

RSV, that sucks :(

Henry had it last winter and it lasted FOREVER, he did not got rid of the wheezing unitl late spring, it was awful.

I hope Ben has an easier time of it. Feel better soon little guys :)